A one pot meal with no oil-A calcium rich meal in just few minutes
Another traditional dish from my family. A must have dish for pregnant and lactating women in our family.
It can be a baby food but ensure to increase water used for cooking so that it gets mashed well.A very healthy dish for teenage girls and women. Eat once in a week and reduce the chances of bone illness in late 40’s. An ideal baby food above 8 or 9 months. It helps in building strong bones and healthy weight gain in babies. Refer urad dhal mix for 6 months baby here and idly recipe for 8 month plus here.
- Whole Urad Dhal-1/2 cup(black/white)
- Rice-1 cup
- Coconut grated-3 tbsp
- Salt-To taste
- Turmeric powder-A pinch
1.Wash and soak rice,urad dhal for 10 minutes.
2.In a cooking vessel, add rice and urad dhal.
3.Place it in pressure cooker and stir well by adding garlic,coconut,salt,turmeric powder with 3 cups of water.
4.Let it cook for 3 whistles.
5.As the pressure gets released,mix well.
6.Serve it hot with coconut thuvaiyal or ellu(sesame thuvaiyal)
This also goes well with curd and jaggery.
Add a spoon of ghee in step 3 for enhanced taste.
Using black urad dhal(with skin) enriches the nutrient value.
The water quantity is same as the usual water measurement you use daily to cook rice.
I use the ratio of 1:2(rice:water). Use 1:3 if you are making it for babies.
The number of whistles depends on your pressure cooker.
If you using black dhal,soak for 3 hours and cook .
Always have a word with pediatrician before introducing new foods for babies.
Black dhal can be used for babies above one year.
Avoid salt for babies below one year.
Facts about urad dhal:
- It is Ulutham/ulunthu Paruppu in Tamil ,english,Urad dhuli, Urad chilka, Urad sabut , Urad saboot,Kali dal in Hindi,Minappappu in Telugu and Uzhunnu Parrippu – Malayalam
- Moong dhal and urad dhal are known for improving the weight of babies in an optimal and healthy way.
- It is a store house of folic acid,calcium,magnesium,essential fatty acids and protein and hence highly recommended for women. It is a must have during puberty , monthly menstrual cycle ,pregnancy and lactation in our family tradition. Hoping to post ulunthu kali soon.
- It is an energy booster and its anti-inflammatory properties helps you in keeping away from joint pains.
- It improves digestion and hence it is used in every dish during tempering.
- It helps in improving bone strength and uterus strength.
- There is even research evidence suggesting that diets containing high contents of urad dal prevent Alzheimer’s and Dementia. So it is good for even the older generation.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page