Aapam occupies our family breakfast definitely when guests arrive. But post wedding aapam has become one of the very common dishes and Niranjan loves it 🙂 As all three of us have no capacity to bare the stomach pain after having aapam made with cooking/baking soda we found this recipe to make aapams from mom. And Hubli temperature absolutely cooperates for the below process.
Ingredients: ( For aapam batter)
Note:Raw rice:Idly/dosa rice:Urad dhal-2:2:1
- Idly/dosa rice-1 cup
- Raw rice-1 cup
- Urad dhal- 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tbsp
To make appam:
- Salt-To taste
- Oil-To grease
- Ghee-To cook
- Soak urad dhal and fenugreek seeds together.
- Soak both rice together.
- Soak it for a minimum for 4 hours.
- Grind urad dhal and fenugreek seeds into a fine paste without adding much water.
- Grind both the rice together in the same format.
- Mix both the above ground batter well and let it ferment for 8 hours.
- The batter would have risen up if fermented well.
- Mix it well after you confirm it is fermented well.Now the batter is ready for use.
- To make aapam,take a mixing bowl and add required batter to a mixture of salt and water.
- Dilute the batter to slightly thinner than dosa batter consistency.
- Heat the aapam kadai and grease with little oil the entire curved surface.
- Now add a ladle of batter and spread it across the kadai.
- Add little ghee in the corners and close the tava.
- You will find millions of dots/holes(see below pic) as the aapam gets cooked.
- Carefully remove it from the kadai by taking it from the kadai from corners of the aapam.
- Serve it hot.
The best/traditional combination in our family is sothi
or plain coconut milk with grated jaggery or onion chutney.
You can also add grated coconut while grinding the rice.
While diluting the batter you can add coconut milk instead of water to enrich the taste.
Dilute only the amount of batter required for making aapams. You can store the remaining batter in refrigerator for a day.
Grind the rice,dhals,fenugreek into a very fine and thick paste to have fluffy and smooth aapams.
Infants who are 8 months and above can be given this twice week by soaking well in sothi/coconut milk.
If you make it infants do not store and use.
I am adding 2 pictures below to make you believe that aapam can be made without cooking soda as few doubt that the aapam will lack fluffiness and it might stick to the kadai.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.
If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page