Ragi can be as wonder grain as it is the most nutritive one among all grains. It is the richest source of calcium and many other nutrients.Ragi is one of the first baby foods . But when I wanted to start with Ragi for my son, we were scared to use the ragi mix due to the presence of husk despite several times of filtering. That’s when my wonderful friends Sweatha Ravi and Pradepa Marappan guided me with this method.This food can be given after 7 th month completion. The below picture does not show the final stage of the porridge.Ingredients: Ragi-1/2 cup Procedure:
- Wash fresh ragi by rubbing with your hands inflowing water to get rid of all impurities. To clean away all husk and dirt do this for 3 to 5 times.
- Soak it in fresh water overnight or in hot water for 4 hours.
- In the morning or after 4 hours , drain the water and add the soaked ragi to a blender.
- Add quarter cup of warm water and run the mixer.
- Strain the blended ragi using a cloth or filter. You can get a liquid which resembles milk.
- Add water for 3 more times and extract the liquid/milk.
- Squeeze with your clean hands to ensure that the milk is completely extracted.
- Strain again and remove impurities.
- Discard the blended ragi and add the extracted liquid/milk to a sauce pan.
- Begin to cook by continuous stirring.
- The porridge will thicken and the raw smell will vanish.
- At this stage , switch off the stove.
- Cool and serve immediately to your baby.
P.S: On cooking the porridge will soon become like jelly. So add water and dilute it. Filtering repeatedly is very essential in this recipe. Add ghee to the porridge when its hot. Don’t store this and provide your baby if its too thick. When you try for the first time add 2 spoons and begin. This can be given from 6 months. Always have a word with your doctor before introducing any new food to your baby.