Today’s post is a collection of foods rich in iron along with recipes.The Iron in food is classified into two types namely Heme and Non-Heme.Meat,poultry and fish contains heme iron and dry fruits,vegetables,fruits and grains/cereals contains non-heme iron.Heme iron absorption is generally higher than non-heme iron foods.To enable increased absorption,always combine IRON and Vitamin C rich foods. Combining Calcium and Iron will reduce iron absorption.Hence it is better to avoid it.
Here is the list of foods rich in iron
- Breastmilk/Formula-This is the best source of iron.
- Vegetables-Beet root,leafy green vegetables,curry leaves,
- Legumes/Pulses-Soya beans,kidney beans,chickpeas,Turkey berry/Sundaikkai
- Dry Fruits-Figs,raisins,prunes,apricots,dates
- Grains/Cereals-Whole wheat,Millets like Finger millet & Little millet,Brown rice,bajra,Red poha
- The above mentioned sources are non-heme.Hence it is always best to combine with foods rich in Vitamin C like Amla,Lemon,Oranges,Broccoli,Strawberry,Capsicum.
The list of recipes will be updated on a regular basis.So kindly BOOKMARK this page or follow by blog by providing your mail id here
Note:The information above has been collected from various resources and provided to the best of my knowledge.The information mentioned above can never replace a medical practitioner advice. Always consult your doctor and proceed as per his/her advice.
PLEASE DO NOT COPY/REPRODUCE ANY PART OF THIS POST IN ANY FORM
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page